Clark Park

Spruce Hill is a neighborhood in the University City section of West Philadelphia. It is between 40th and 46th streets, and it stretches from Market Street south to Woodland Avenue. It has a population of over 16,000. It was built as a streetcar suburb for Center City between 1850 and 1910. It is a racially and ethnically diverse part of the city, where much historic architecture is preserved. A statue of Charles Dickens, cast in 1890 by Francis Edwin Elwell, stands in the neighborhood’s Clark Park; it is one of just two known statues of the author.

Clark Park is a municipal park in the Spruce Hill section of West Philadelphia in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Its 9.1 acres (3.7 ha) are bordered by 43rd and 45th streets, and by Baltimore and Woodland Avenues. The park was established in 1895 on land donated to the city by banker and West Philadelphia developer Clarence Howard Clark, and was known in its early decades as “Clarence H. Clark Park”. Today, the park has a basketball court, playground, an open field, and many paths. It holds a life-sized 1890 sculpture of Charles Dickens, one of just two known statues of the author. It is home to the Shakespeare in Clark Park theatre company. The park also hosts Philadelphia’s largest year-round farmers’ market, which runs once or twice a week, depending on the season.

source: wikipedia.org


Find Your Way Around Spruce Hill/Clark Park