PA Suburbs Neighborhoods
Ardmore is a census-designated place (CDP) in Delaware and Montgomery counties in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The community of Ardmore is a suburb on the west side of Philadelphia, within Lower Merion Township in Montgomery County; and Haverford Township in Delaware County. Originally named Athensville in 1853, the community and its railroad station were renamed Ardmore in 1873 by the Pennsylvania Railroad, on whose “Main Line”, west out of Philadelphia, Ardmore sits at Milepost 8.5.
Bryn Mawr is a census-designated place (CDP) in Radnor Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania, Haverford Township, Delaware County, Pennsylvania and Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, just west of Philadelphia along Lancaster Avenue (US-30) and the border with Delaware County. Bryn Mawr is located toward the center of what is known as the Main Line, a group of affluent Philadelphia suburbs stretching from the city limits to Malvern.
Churchville is a census-designated place in Northampton Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, United States. Churchville’s population boom and growth as a commuter haven took place in the mid-1980s. As of the census of 2000, there were 4,469 people, 1,370 households, and 1,257 families residing in the CDP.
Collegeville is a borough in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, 30 miles (48 km) northwest of Philadelphia on the Perkiomen Creek. Collegeville was incorporated in 1896. It is the location of Ursinus College, opened in 1869. The village was originally known as Perkiomen Bridge and later as Freeland. In 1869 the German Reformed Church founded Ursinus College just outside Freeland, and the village changed its name to Collegeville.
Conshohocken is a borough on the Schuylkill River in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, in suburban Philadelphia. Historically a large mill town and industrial and manufacturing center, after the decline of industry in recent years Conshohocken has developed into a center of riverfront commercial and residential development. In the regional slang, it is sometimes referred to by the colloquial nickname Conshy.
Haverford is an unincorporated community located in both Haverford Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, USA, and Lower Merion Township in Montgomery County, about 10 miles (16 km) west of Philadelphia. It is on the Main Line, which is known historically for its wealth. As of August 2009, the average home price in the Haverford ZIP Code 19041 was $849,000.
Holland is an unincorporated community in Northampton Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is located next to Newtown, Richboro, and Churchville. One of its communities is Village Shires, which has approximately 4,000 residents. Despite its proximity to Philadelphia, Holland was rural for much of its history. A building boom in the 1970s resulted in a significant increase in housing capacity, mainly in the form of large tract housing developments. Since then, the town has seen additional growth, becoming a prototypical commuter bedroom community for suburban families.
Kennett Square is a borough in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is known as the Mushroom Capital of the World because mushroom farming in the region produces over a million pounds of mushrooms a week. To celebrate this heritage, Kennett Square has an annual Mushroom Festival, where the town shuts down to have a parade, tour mushroom farms, and buy and sell food and other goods.
King of Prussia
King of Prussia is a census-designated place in Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. The community took its name in the 18th century from a local tavern named the King of Prussia Inn, which was named after Frederick II, King of Prussia. Like the rest of Montgomery County, King of Prussia continues to experience rapid development.
Logan Square is a neighborhood in Philadelphia. Bound by Market Street on the south, Spring Garden Street on the north, Broad Street on the east, and the Schuylkill River on the west, it occupies the northwest quadrant of Center City. The square for which it is named is one of the five “squares”, or parks, central to William Penn’s design for Philadelphia.
Lower Merion Township is a township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania and part of the Pennsylvania Main Line. As of the 2010 U.S. Census, the township had a total population of 57,825. Lower Merion has the 5th highest per-capita income and the 12th highest median household income in the country with a population of 50,000 or more.
Malvern is a borough in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. The town is bordered by Paoli Pike on the south, Sugartown Road on the west, the Willistown Township on the east, and the East Whiteland Township on the north. It is south of US 30 and easily accessible to Route 202. The main road through the Borough is King Street, intersected by Warren Avenue.
The borough of Media is the county seat of Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is located 12 miles (19 km) west of Philadelphia. Media was incorporated in 1850 at the same time that it was named the county seat. Its school district is the Rose Tree Media School District with Penncrest High School and Springton Lake Middle School. In June 2006, it became the first fair trade town in America.
Merion is an unincorporated community in Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States, and is one of the towns that make up the storied Philadelphia Main Line. It is contiguous to Philadelphia and is also bordered by Wynnewood, Narberth, and Bala Cynwyd. Merion is often referred to as “Merion Station,”...
Narberth is a borough in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. Narberth is located on a parcel of land originally deeded to Edward Rees (which later became “Prees” and eventually “Price”), who arrived from Wales in 1682. A portion of this original tract became the 100-acre (0.40 km2) farm of Edward R. Price, who founded Elm as a Quaker-friendly town in 1881. The town name changed to Narberth in 1893, and Narberth was incorporated in 1895. In 1995, the borough celebrated its 100th birthday with a year-long celebration.
New Hope is a borough in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, USA. The borough lies on the west bank of the Delaware River at its confluence with Aquetong Creek. The two-lane New Hope – Lambertville Bridge carries automobile and foot traffic across the Delaware to Lambertville, New Jersey on the east bank.
Newtown is a borough in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is located just west of the Trenton, New Jersey metropolitan area, and is part of the larger Philadelphia metropolitan area. It is entirely surrounded by Newtown Township, from which it separated in 1838. State Street is the main commercial thoroughfare with wide sidewalks, shops, taverns, and restaurants. In September 2011, Yahoo! Travel ranked Newtown Borough seventh in their annual 10 Coolest Small Towns in America list, despite incorrectly claiming that Newtown is part of “Amish Country”.
Newtown Township is a township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. Prior to 1789 it was part of Chester County. Including its history as part of Chester County, it is the oldest township in Delaware County. Newtown Square was the name used for the townstead with the majority of early settlers being Welshman. These Welsh “Friends” (Quakers) needed a road to facilitate their journey to meeting, the only established road at the time being Newtown Street Road, which ran north and south.
Phoenixville is a borough in Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States, 28 miles (45 km) northwest of Philadelphia, at the junction of French Creek with the Schuylkill River. Originally called Manavon, Phoenixville was settled in 1732 and incorporated as a borough in 1849. In its industrial heyday early in the twentieth century, it was an important manufacturing center and it was the site of great iron and steel mills such as the Phoenix Iron Works, boiler works, silk mill, underwear and hosiery factories, a match factory, and the famous (and now highly collectible) Etruscan majolica pottery.
Radnor is an unincorporated community in Radnor Township of Delaware County and Tredyffrin Township of Chester County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It lies near the communities of Villanova and St. Davids, and is served by the SEPTA Paoli/Thorndale Line of Regional Rail and the Norristown High Speed Line. The community includes the estates of Woodcrest (now Cabrini College), Walmarthon (now Eastern University), Bolingbroke, Rock Rose, and The Woods.
Richboro is a census-designated place (CDP) in Northampton Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, United States. Hampton Hill, John Thompson House, Twin Trees Farm, and Willow Mill Complex are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The median income for a household in the CDP was $91,204, and the median income for a family was $94,316. Males had a median income of $67,222 versus $36,351 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $31,954.
Swarthmore is a borough in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. Swarthmore was originally named Westdale in honor of noted painter Benjamin West, who was one of the early residents of the town. The name was changed to Swarthmore after the establishment of Swarthmore College. “Swarthmore” can be pronounced with the first “r” either vocalized or dropped due to differences in rhotic and non-rhotic accents.
Tredyffrin Township is a township located in eastern Chester County, Pennsylvania, United States. Originally settled in the late 17th century, Tredyffrin is bounded by Delaware and Montgomery counties. It includes on its northern boundary a small part of Valley Forge National Historical Park, where George Washington encamped during the American War of Independence. Tredyffrin and the entire Great Valley region also have many limestone deposits.
Wayne is an unincorporated community located on the Main Line, centered in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. While the center of Wayne is in Radnor Township, Wayne extends into both Tredyffrin Township in Chester County and Upper Merion Township in Montgomery County. The center of Wayne was designated the Downtown Wayne Historic District in 2012.
West Chester is a borough and the county seat of Chester County, Pennsylvania in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. West Chester University of Pennsylvania is located in the borough. Valley Forge, the Brandywine Battlefield, Marsh Creek State Park, and other historical attractions are nearby, as are Longwood Gardens, the Brandywine River Museum, and Christian C. Sanderson Museum.
Wynnewood, Pennsylvania is a suburban community located outside of Philadelphia in Lower Merion Township, Pennsylvania, the fifth most affluent township in the country, and Haverford Township, Pennsylvania, United States. Wynnewood is one of the many neighborhoods on the historic Pennsylvania Main Line, and encompasses suburban residential neighborhoods as well as institutions such as Lankenau Hospital, St. Charles Borromeo Seminary, Palmer Theological Seminary, and Friends’ Central School.
Yardley is a borough in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, United States. The small community of Yardley is bordered by the Delaware River and Ewing, New Jersey on the east, and by Lower Makefield Township on the north, west, and south. Yardley was founded by William Yardley, who immigrated to America in July, 1682 with his family. He made an agreement with William Penn, before leaving England, to buy 500 acres (2.0 km2) for ten pounds.